fyi, I got the sysadmin at the web hosting company involved. He changed "sessioncookiepath" in the database table "mdl_config" from / tmp to /, and things started working correctly. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me (/tmp seems to be the proper place to put temporary files, such as those that handle sessions), but that was the fix. Thanks again for your help... Dan On Sep 1, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Dean Mah wrote: > Hmmm.... I've never used the session-test script. I would still check > to make sure that the session information is correct. Find your > session save_path in the php.ini file or wherever that it may have > been overridden. Check to make sure that non-empty session files are > being created there. Check their content to ensure the session > corresponds to your cookie. Try using watching the live headers in the > browser to see that the cookie is being passed back and forth. > > Dean > > > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Dan Romanchik<dan at danromanchik.com> > wrote: >> Hi, Dean-- >> >> Thanks for your message. >> >> It sounded like a session/cookie problem to me, too, but apparently >> it's not. I did find out that there's session test script at /lib/ >> session-test.php. When I run that, it tells me that sessions are >> running correctly. >> >> I've search the Moodle forums, but haven't really found anything like >> this problem. I've also entered items in the General Problems forum >> and the Installation forums, but haven't gotten any replies there. >> >> Dan >> >> On Aug 31, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Dean Mah wrote: >>> Sounds like a session/cookie problem. Search the moodle bug tracker >>> for those keywords and hopefully it is a known problem. Also make >>> sure that you are allowing cookies for the domain that you have >>> moodle >>> 1.8.9 installed on. >>> >>> Dean >>> >>> >>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Dan Romanchik<dan at danromanchik.com> >>> wrote: >>>> I'm having some trouble with a 1.8.9 updgrade. >>>> >>>> Sometimes it lets me login, sometimes not. When It does let me >>>> login, >>>> it usually logs me out as soon as I click on anything. >>>> >>>> I still have the old installation (1.8+) installed on this server, >>>> and >>>> it seems to be working just fine. >>>> >>>> I'm at my wit's end here, and would even be willing to pay >>>> someone to >>>> fix this or advise me on what's wrong. >>>> >>>> Dan Romanchik > -- > > * * Please support the community that supports you. * * > http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/ > > For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester > and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org > Workers of the Web, evolt !